Put Together the Perfect Checklist to Ensure a Smooth Filing Process

Tax Time: All the Documents You'll Need for Stress-Free Tax Filing

Whether you receive a W2 or are self-employed, many of these documents will be necessary to complete your return.

Complete Tax Filing Document Checklist


  • Your Social Security number
  • Your spouse's full name and Social Security number
  • Your unexpired government issued ID
  • Your spouse's unexpired government issued ID


  • Dates of birth and Social Security numbers
  • Childcare records if applicable
  • Form 8332 when the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to the noncustodial parent (if applicable)


  • Forms W-2
  • Unemployment (1099-G)
  • Forms 1099-NEC, 1099-K, 1099-misc
  • Income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
  • Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Home office information, if applicable
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
Rental Income
  • Records of income and expenses
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
Retirement Income
  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
  • Traditional IRA basis (prior-year Forms 8606 showing amounts already taxed)
  • Social Security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
Savings & Investments or Dividends
  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • 1099-B and/or 1099-DIV from cryptocurrencies, NFTs and all other similar type income or loss
  • Cost of all cryptocurrencies, NFTs and other similar type of income sales
  • Other Income & Losses
Other Income & Losses
  • State refunds (Form 1099-G)
  • Income from K-1s either as investment or as active owner
  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
  • Jury duty records
  • Hobby income and expenses
  • Prizes and awards
  • Trusts
  • Royalties (1099-MISC)
  • Any other 1099s received
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC) Deductions

Home Ownership

  • Form 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Real estate and personal property tax records

Charitable Donations

  • Cash amounts donated to religious organizations, schools, other charitable organizations

  • Records of non-cash charitable donations

  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable purposes

Medical Expenses

  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

  • Miles driven for medical purposes

  • Travel expenses for medical, including hotels, planes, tolls, parking, etc

Health Insurance

  • Form 1095-A if you have health insurance through a State Marketplace (Exchange)

Childcare Expenses

  • Daycare paid for a child under age 13 so the taxpayer (and spouse) can work

  • Wages paid to a babysitter

Educational Expenses

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts for qualified educational expenses

  • Records of scholarships or fellowships

  • Form 1098-E for student loan interest

State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid

  • Invoice for large item purchases such as cars, boats, motorcycles etc.

  • Amount of real estate taxes paid

  • Amount of personal property taxes paid

Retirement & Other Savings

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

Federally Declared Disaster

  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in

  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)

  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs

  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

  • FEMA assistance information

Making Taxes Simplified - Your Tax Concierge
Every Step of the Way.

We're open and here to help. We guarantee you will receive the maximum refund you are entitled to.

Phone: +1 813-602-7066

Follow us: